Congratulations are in order for former Chicago Cubs first baseman Fred McGriff as he was elected to the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame on Sunday evening. McGriff spent part of the 2001 and the entire 2002 season with the Cubs as he was acquired in a mid-season with the Tampa Bay Rays (then known as the Devil Rays) in 2001. McGriff had a total of 796 plate appearances during his run with the Cubs and slashed .276/.361/.518/879 to go along with 42 home runs.
Chicago Cubs Rumors from Day 1 of the Winter Meetings
- As the Chicago Cubs look for value this offseason, the team has been connected to a pair of veterans in starting pitcher Corey Kluber and first baseman Matt Carpenter.
- Free agent shortstop Xander Bogaerts is believed to be the top priority for the Cubs at the Winter Meetings.
- To that end, the Cubs may have already or are about to submit a formal offer to Bogaerts.
- Free-agent shortstop Trea Turner may be the shortstop that Cubs' president of baseball operations Jed Hoyer is most high on this offseason.
- Free-agent shortstop Dansby Swanson has been strongly connected to the Cubs.
More Cubs news
With the Cubs appearing to have an increasing interest in Bogaerts, a reminder that the free-agent shortstop grew up watching the team when he was younger.
Positive news on Cubs' catching prospect Miguel Amaya as he is no longer in a walking boot following surgery to repair a Lisfranc fracture in his foot.
MLB Rumors from Day 1 of the Winter Meetings
Of all the free-agent shortstops, the San Francisco Giants may have preference for Carlos Correa. The Giants' offseason plans may be on hold until free-agent outfielder Aaron Judge makes a decision on his future. If Judge does not re-sign with the Yankees, there is an overwhelming expectation that he would then sign with the Giants.
Pittsburgh Pirates outfielder Brian Reynolds has drawn interest from the New York Yankees, Colorado Rockies, and Atlanta Braves.
Rumored Chicago Cubs' free-agent starting pitching target Chris Bassitt is seeking at least a four-year deal.
The Oakland Athletics may be close to trading catcher Sean Murphy to a team other than the Braves.