Cubs Spring Training Update: Moises Ballesteros delay, Ben Cowles DFA, Zac Gallen

The Cubs are feeling the Arizona sun.
May 19, 2025; Miami, Florida, USA; Chicago Cubs designated hitter Moises Ballesteros (25) looks on from first base after hitting a single against the Miami Marlins during the sixth inning at loanDepot Park. Mandatory Credit: Sam Navarro-Imagn Images
May 19, 2025; Miami, Florida, USA; Chicago Cubs designated hitter Moises Ballesteros (25) looks on from first base after hitting a single against the Miami Marlins during the sixth inning at loanDepot Park. Mandatory Credit: Sam Navarro-Imagn Images | Sam Navarro-Imagn Images

While most of the Chicago Cubs players have reported to spring training, the Cubs are still waiting on the arrivals of Moises Ballesteros and Christian Bethancourt. Craig Counsell told reporters on Sunday that both players are experiencing visa delays, and the earliest the team may see them in camp is by next weekend.

It certainly isn't ideal for Ballesteros to be missing the start of camp. He is among the Cubs players participating in the 2026 World Baseball Classic and is expected to have a large role in the team's starting lineup during the regular season.

Ballesteros is expected to be the Cubs' primary designated hitter during the 2026 season. Technically, he's the third catcher on the roster, but unless his defensive skills behind the plate surpass those of Carson Kelly and Miguel Amaya, he's not expected to get many opportunities at catcher.

The hope is that Ballesteros' arrival at camp isn't delayed much further beyond next weekend. While his bat looked the part last September, he's still a young player in need of development. That being said, as of now, his current status is not expected to impact his chances of making the Opening Day roster.

Cubs Spring Training Update: Ben Cowles' DFA sparks Justin Steele optimism

Even though Shelby Miller will miss the entire 2026 season after signing a two-year deal with the Cubs over the weekend, the team still had to make a corresponding roster move on the 40-man roster for Miller before eventually placing him on the 60-day IL. Surprisingly, the Cubs designated infielder Ben Cowles for assignment.

Cowles returned to the Cubs' organization earlier this offseason, and it turned heads that the corresponding move was not the Cubs moving Justin Steele to the 60-day IL. A move that would have ruled Steele out until the final week of May.

The Cubs may have seen enough in Steele's recovery to believe that he could have an early return, which is why they have avoided placing him on the 60-day IL through the first week of spring training.

Cubs Spring Training Update: Zac Gallen turned down multi-year offers in favor of return to Diamondbacks

As expected, Zac Gallen returned to the Arizona Diamondbacks on a one-year deal worth over $22 million. The deal makes sense for both sides, considering Gallen had previously turned down the qualifying offer from the Diamondbacks earlier this offseason. In returning to Arizona, Gallen reportedly turned down multi-year offers from other teams.

It would be fair to assume the Cubs were one of those teams, considering their interest in Gallen was likely tied to the fact that Matthew Boyd, Jameson Taillon, and Shota Imanaga are all free agents next offseason.

Loading recommendations... Please wait while we load personalized content recommendations