5 Chicago Cubs that Will be Part of the Next Core – #2: Kyle Hendricks
Obviously, this list wouldn’t be complete without Kyle Hendricks. ‘The Professor’ has been part of the core for six seasons now. Looking at his statistics over the years, Hendricks’ best year came in 2016, the year the Cubs won it all.
More from Cubbies Crib
- Cubs should keep close eye on non-tender candidate Cody Bellinger
- Cubs starting pitching has been thriving on the North Side
- Make no mistake: the Cubs are very much about power hitters
- Cubs are giving pitcher Javier Assad a deserved shot
- Cubs: It’s time to start thinking about potential September call-ups
He posted a remarkable big league-leading 2.13 ERA with a 16-8 record while finishing third in Cy Young Award voting. Most remember his lights-out performance in Game 6 of the NLCS, sending the club to its first World Series since 1945. Hendricks’ consistency has endured over the years.
Over eight seasons of work, Hendricks has a career 3.24 ERA and a stellar record of 82-53. His current record of 13-5 in 2021 in among the best in terms of wins as he is currently leading the league in that department. Considering he is not a free agent until 2024, his two extra years of team control could have potentially returned a haul at the trade deadline. Thankfully, the organization stuck with the right-hander. Hendricks’ consistency is valuable to any team looking to build a solid rotation.