Chicago Cubs: Compassion and intellect
Number three – Joe Maddon genuinely cares about his players. He5 goes into his season thinking how much he can rest his guys so they can make it through the season. He’d sooner have his guys sit out a game or take a day off before getting injured. Thanks for taking care of our heroes Joe; like Rizzo, Bryant, Baez, Zobrist, Schwarber and many more.
More from Cubbies Crib
- Cubs should keep close eye on non-tender candidate Cody Bellinger
- Cubs starting pitching has been thriving on the North Side
- Make no mistake: the Cubs are very much about power hitters
- Cubs are giving pitcher Javier Assad a deserved shot
- Cubs: It’s time to start thinking about potential September call-ups
Next,. Maddon has the intellectual capacity to challenge the game itself. The Cubs manager can bring an intellectual argument to the table that few can match. In game time situations, I marvel at how he navigates past opposing skippers like a Jimmy Buffett professor schooling the freshman class. Thanks for keeping them on their toes.
5. Maddon is entertaining! Why not? It’s like paying for a movie and getting a Broadway show! Art, cars, sweatshirts, mimes, I don’t care, I love it all; Maddon is at the center of attention because he is entertaining. Thanks for making us smile.
6. Maddon can build a team; not by numbers and players but by spirit. One of the principles of leadership is building your team; making them a cohesive, interdependent unit capable of functioning at high levels of stress. Believe it or not, that’s why Maddon has the team do the different outfit themes when traveling. You laugh together; you cry together, you are embarrassed together.
Hey genius, that’s why Jason Heyward’s pep talk during the seventh game of the World Series worked! You don’t just start making calculated decision on the fly; you are groomed throughout the season for those moments. That’s what Maddon does best; he builds emotionally strong thoroughbred teams. Thanks for preparing them Joe.