Cubs need pitching, but so do the Yankees
More from Cubbies Crib
- Cubs should keep close eye on non-tender candidate Cody Bellinger
- Cubs starting pitching has been thriving on the North Side
- Make no mistake: the Cubs are very much about power hitters
- Cubs are giving pitcher Javier Assad a deserved shot
- Cubs: It’s time to start thinking about potential September call-ups
If the Cubs are looking for pitching (as they should be), there are a few potential pieces the Yankees could offer for Schwarber. My thoughts are that if the Cubs were to make this deal it will be for quality, not quantity. And the Cubs will be looking for players that are MLB ready or already at that level. Let’s assume the Cubs are looking for a starting pitcher and a reliever/swingman.
The first issue is with the Yankees contending, one of their needs is starting pitching as well. C.C. Sabathia (7-2, 3.46) is out with a hamstring injury which could keep him out four to six weeks. Masahiro Tanaka (5-7, 6.34) has struggled (That could have been the Cubs problem) and has left the Yankees mentioned in the same rumors for the likes of Sonny Gray and Gerrit Cole. So who might they part with for Schwarber?