Chicago Cubs: Bold Predictions for the starting rotation
4 of 5
They say things happen in three’s. If that is true, then Jake Arrieta will throw another no-hitter in 2017. The first was on August 30, 2015. Then again on April 21, 2016. This year, he will accomplish a third. Let’s say on June 3 or 12.
More from Cubbies Crib
- Cubs: Adrian Sampson is forcing his way into the conversation
- Projecting the Chicago Cubs bullpen to open the 2023 season
- Cubs fans are beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel
- Justin Steele has evolved into a frontline starter for the Cubs
- The future of first base is murky right now for the Cubs
Arrieta will not be the only Chicago Cub with a no-hitter in 2017. Kyle Hendricks has the ability to pitch one, while Lester already has one from his time with the Boston Red Sox. Either one will pitch a no-hitter. Maybe both.
But, do not be surprised if another starter goes seven innings with no hits, with the bullpen finishing. Mike Montgomery’s ability to induce grounders with the defense behind him, it is possible for a team no-hitter.