Jeff Samardzija – Free agent 2020: 2-9, 4.81 ERA, 104 Ks, 91 2/3 IP
I know what Cubs fans are thinking. And while I consider Jeff Samardzija to be moved anywhere else first before heading back to the North Side, the trade potential looms.
More from Chicago Cubs Rumors
- The latest Cubs rumors on the morning of the trade deadline
- Cubs could give White Sox badly-needed bullpen help
- Cubs trade piece Mychal Givens riding an insane scoreless streak
- Cubs Rumors: The latest on Juan Soto, Ian Happ and Willson Contreras
- Cubs Rumors: Mets, Yankees both have sights set on David Robertson
Samardzija (2-9, 4.81 ERA) has struggled though his walk rate (3.4 percent) is lower than the 5.3 percent it was this time last year. The one thing you can say for the Sharks is he’s an innings-eater. Over the prior three seasons, his inning totals have surpassed 200 innings pitched.
His home and road splits have suffered, but getting out of AT&T Park and particularly the NL West could be beneficial. His record is 0-and-5 against the Arizona Diamondbacks and Colorado Rockies.
The only way the Cubs make a trade with the Giants for Samardzija is if San Francisco agrees to pick up almost all of the salary and the Cubs are able to get away with sending mid-level or lower prospects.