Chicago Cubs Vs St Louis Cardinals: Pre-Game Notes, Lineup, and TV Information
The Chicago Cubs have the St Louis Cardinals’ number at Wrigley Field. In the teams past 7 games against each other at Wrigley Field, the Cubs have 5 walk-off victories. None may have more sweet than the one the Cubs had yesterday against the Cardinals. After Chris Carpenter had a successful 2012 debut for the Cardinals on Friday, the Cubs played spoilers as Darwin Barney‘s two run home run in the ninth inning forced the game into extra innings where David DeJesus hit a walk-off single for the Cubs in the 11th inning.
Sep 17, 2012; Chicago, IL, USA; Chicago Cubs starting pitcher Travis Wood throws a pitch against the Pittsburgh Pirates during the first inning at Wrigley Field. Mandatory Credit: Jerry Lai-US PRESSWIRE
Travis Wood takes the mound for the Cubs on Saturday as the team look to continue to player spoilers for the Cardinals.
- Television: WGN
- Radio: WGN Radio 720 AM
- Game Time: 12:05 PM
- David DeJesus, Center Field
- Darwin Barney, Second Base
- Anthony Rizzo, First Base
- Alfonso Soriano, Left Field
- Starlin Castro, Shortstop
- Welington Castillo, Catcher
- Dave Sappelt, Right Field
- Josh Vitters, Third Base
- Travis Wood, Starting Pitcher
- The expectation for the final weeks of the season for the Cubs is that the accustomed starting position players will begin to see more time on the bench. This move could be for several reasons. It is already known that Rizzo, Castro, Barney, Castillo, and Brett Jackson in all likelihood will be apart of the 2013 roster. But the Cubs still need to evaluate players such as Anthony Recker, Adrian Cardenas, Josh Vitters, and Dave Sappelt. In that aspect, one could suggest that the month of September is a better evaluation period for front offices as opposed to Spring Training. Because the players that are promoted to the Major Leagues during the month of September gain experience against Major League talent and teams that are contending for a post-season spot. One example of this, Sappelt, whose impressive play this month likely has put him on a path to a roster spot on the Cubs in 2013.