A sign that your team is out of playoff contention, is when a lot of fans including myself are clamoring for the “hot-stove” to start. When it comes to blogging the best time to be a blogger is the off-season, because there is just so much rumors, news, and transactions flying around the internet. Heading into this offseason, the Chicago Cubs are expected to be one of the most active teams this winter. With that being said, lets take a look at Bruce Levine’s latest chat that he did for ESPN today.
- One of the biggest needs the Chicago Cubs are going to have this winter is a left handed power hitter. According to Bruce, the Cubs top three targets in order appear to be Adam Dunn, Carlos Pena, and Victor Martinez. While recent reports have suggested that Dunn may be getting closer to a contract extension in Washington, Bruce still insists that he will hit the open market as a free agent. Where he would be the Chicago Cubs top priority. Martinez is currently splitting time at first and catcher for the Boston Red Sox hitting .296/.341/.489 with 18 home runs and 73 RBI’s in 456 at bats. Of the three, Pena is the best defender, and for the most part has put up good offensive numbers for his career. While he is only hitting .203 he still is having a good power year by having 27 home runs and 81RBI’s. Adam Dunn,30, is the youngest of the three sluggers.
- Bruce is hearing a lot of rumblings that the Chicago Cubs will make Andrew Cashner a starting pitcher next season. I’m not sure if that is the best choice for the Cubs, considering that Cashner projects as a really good closer in the MLB.
- With the recent resurgence from Carlos Zambrano it is more likely that he will be traded this off-season, or so says Bruce Levine. As the Chicago Cubs feel they have had too many ups and downs with him, and they can’t afford keep going through that uncertainty with him.
- Top prospect Brett Jackson, will likely be on the same pace that Starlin Castro was this season, for next season. You can expect to see him in the outfield by May or June for the Chicago Cubs.
- According to Bruce, the Chicago Cubs are willing to make anyone available through trade with the exceptions being Starlin Castro and Andrew Cashner.
- Assuming Girardi won’t be available, Bruce thinks that Cubs managerial spot will come down to Mike Quade or Ryne Sandberg. Sandberg is expected to be interviewed for the job sometime within the next two days.
- Again for the second straight week, Bruce mentions Orlando Hudson coming to the Cubs as a top of the order hitter.
- Bruce speculates that the Yankees may make an attempt to trade for Marmol as a future replacement for Mariano Rivera.