Starting today, and going through the season, I will be posting a Sunday article, called Sunday Starters. Which is where I will highlight some headlines to watch heading into the week, so with that being said let’s get started.
Mike Fontenot likely going to be the starting 2B
- Jim Bowden of XM radio tweeted that Lou Piniella is leaning towards starting Mike Fontenot at second base over Jeff Baker. The motive behind his decision is that with Fontenot being left handed, that gives the Cubs more balance in their lineup.
Cubs interested in Kerry Wood
- Nick Cafardo, Boston Globe MLB national writer, is reporting that the Cubs are showing “some” interest in Kerry Wood. But if any deal were to happen, the Indians would have to eat most of his $10.5 million salary that he is set to make this season. While Jim Hendry is indeed looking to make a trade for a reliever, nothing is close right now.
- The Cubs announced today that they have cut 9 player from their major league roster. Pitchers Mitch Atkins and David Patton were optioned to triple A, and double A respectively. While Steve Clevenger, Blake Lalli, Brett Jackson, Matt Camp, Josh Vitters, Jeff Kennard, and Vince Perkins were all assigned to minor league camp.
- Aramis Ramirez is okay, after leaving yesterday’s game with sore triceps. He is expected to be back in the lineup this week.
- Derrek Lee is still day-to-day while he deals with a bone bruise on his left foot.
- Ted Lilly is ahead of schedule with his rehab, Lilly and the Cubs are hoping that he can see some cactus league action before spring training is over.
- Angel Guzman will meet with Dr. James Andrews tomorrow to have a second opinion on his shoulder. Andrews, was the doctor that conducted Guzman’s previous two shoulder surgeries.